How good are you at playing Devil’s Advocate? I believe that the hardest part of being a good Devil’s Advocate is overcoming your own moral beliefs and prejudices. As such, I’ve created a list of positions you are very unlikely to accept, but which have all been accepted at one time or another. In other words, while these opinions sound awful to you, they exist for non-stupid reasons. If you wish to defeat these ideas, you should at least understand how they work. How many can you successfully advocate for?
2. The military draft is a good thing because it only takes young men. Young men are the most disposable people in a society, so it’s okay if they die.
3. Imperialism is good for developing countries. Most poor nations that became rich did so after a period of imperialism. Saudi-Arabia, South Africa, Chile, South Korea are all examples of how helpful imperialism is.
4. Alcohol should be illegal. People who are drunk are more likely to commit rape, murder and abuse. They kill thousands of people in car crashes.
5. The rule of law is a mistake. It’s better if we just take our criminals to kings or queens who have excellent moral training.
6. Humility, pity and charity are expressions of resentment. Pride, strength and selfishness are natural and good.
7. Slavery is useful and good in countries that haven’t achieved industry. Without slavery, it is difficult for primitive societies to develop.
8. Having different cultures is dangerous. We should try to get rid of the variety of cultures in the world and just make one, global culture.
9. Happiness is nothing next to glory. The person who tries to live a happy life is weak and contemptible. The person who tries to live a great life will be remembered forever.
10. There are too many people in the world. We should make it illegal for women to have more than one child. We should force women in other countries to only have one child, as well.
11.We should destroy books and movies with improper morality. We should choose smart, moral people to control what we can see and can’t see.
12. True communism is beautiful, an ideal for all people to reach for.
13. Some religions and cultures are simply evil. We should force these people to become members of good religions and cultures.
14. Greatness requires sacrifice. It’s better that thousands of people died building the Great Wall of China than if nobody had ever built the Great Wall of China.