Study Guide for 영미문화
Chapter 7 Cecil Rhodes
- Understand why Rhodes supported imperialism. Check his ideas about “the finest race” and “civilizing influences.”
- Understand Rhodes’ goal for expanding the English Empire. What does he want to accomplish?
- Understand Rhodes’ opinion about “lesser races.”
Chapter 8 Teddy Roosevelt
- Understand what Roosevelt meant by “the strenuous life.”
- Understand how Roosevelt thought a man should behave in dangerous and difficult situations.
- Why does Roosevelt think that winning the Civil War was worth so many deaths?
- Understand why Roosevelt doesn’t want to “be like China.”
Chapter 9 Malcolm X
- Understand the reasons Malcolm X and black people had for hating white people.
- Understand the difference between the Nation of Islam and Islam.
- Understand the differences between Malcolm X’s feelings before and after Mecca.
- Understand why Malcolm X and Elijah Muhammed had a conflict.
Chapter 10 Anti-Communism
- Understand why Americans were so scared of communism in the 1950s.
- Understand why American conservatives did “witch hunts” against artists, movie directors and diplomats.
- Know about Joseph McCarthy’s life.
Chapter 11 Libertarianism and the Reagan Revolution
- Understand why many Americans think that social welfare programs are secretly communistic.
- Understand what Libertarians believe – natural social structures, naturally convergent interests, the evil of all governments.
- Understand why Reagan attacked labor unions, government regulations and lowered taxes on rich people.
- Know what the Reagan Coalition is.
Chapter 12 The Attacks of 9-11, 2001 and Aftermath
- Understand why Americans expect safety.
- Understand how Osama bin Laden began his career with the Mujahideen, fighting against the Soviet Union.
- Understand bin Laden’s plan.
- Understand how Americans reacted to 9-11.